The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What is the point of investing for retiremen Date:  2/12/2010  11:33 AM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  66756 of 103299

One more thought. You might want to consider making at least $2,000 or so of your retirement contribution in a traditional IRA instead of the Roth so that your adjusted income will be low enough to qualify for the "Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions" that you claim on form 8880.

Since you make $28,000, the two thousand dollars traditional IRA contribution would bring you adjusted income down to $26,000 which would probably qualify you for this credit.

If you have not been taking this in prior years you may be able to do an amended return for some of the prior years to get this credit if you qualified for it then.

I'm not sure of the details of the rules, but if you have already made your Roth contribution it might still be possible tp re-charterize part of it to a traditional IRA to get this credit.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us