The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth conversion - capital gains Date:  3/8/2010  8:00 PM
Author:  CABob Number:  109470 of 131270

"you have to pay tax on the entire amount of the IRA conversion, not just capital gains."

Correct assuming that the entire traditional IRA contributions were tax deferred. If your IRA has non deductable contributions in it you will pay taxes on the pro-rated amount that has not been already taxed.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us