The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/come-on-gus-from-previous-posts-on-the-subject-28469312.aspx

Subject:  Re: Time to replace the 4% rule? Date:  4/27/2010  6:27 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  67029 of 96089

Come on, Gus:

From previous posts on the subject on this board, I think it's fairly clear that RV retired with less money than he wanted to, and has been searching for a way to justify spending more than 4%. Hence the various rationalizations.

Don't we ALL retire with perhaps less than we'd like to have in an ideal world? However, we do fine, thanks. LOL!

The truth is that I started managing my own 401k years ago (within the limits of the company's 401k framework), found out that I could do fairly well with it that way, and then rolled it over to a self-directed IRA when I retired.

I'm simply not a lemming, to put it bluntly. As Frank Sinatra used to sing "I did it my way..." and I have pretty much lived my life that way, when I could.

My whole message is this:

It's YOUR life -- and YOUR money.

If you prefer to invest it and let it ride, and perhaps don't want to have to deal with managing your money, and you want to obey a 4 percent (or some other) "rule", and that WORKS for you, then by all means go ahead and do that!

However, if you perhaps feel, as I do, that you'd prefer to think about what your money is doing, and prefer to learn about how to manage it yourself, why not do that, instead?

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us