The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Giving kids money for a house deposit Date:  6/28/2010  11:51 AM
Author:  plasticcow Number:  110620 of 129380

I'm sure this is not a unique situation, but my in-laws want to give us a fairly substantial chunk of money towards a deposit on the house, and they want to receive some income from us as a result of that. We want to figure out how to do this in a tax-efficient way. We're completely flexible as to how this can be structured: as a loan, equity stake in the house, outright gift, etc., but the basic idea is:

- They provide the money towards a deposit, with no expectation of capital repayment (it will be deducted from inheritance at a later date, or will form part of the estate's assets, to make it fair for my wife's siblings)

- We give them 3% of the deposit amount each year

Does anyone know where I can go to get some good advice on this? Would my friendly local CPA know about this sort of thing, or do I need a specialist? If I need a specialist, then in what is there specialty, and how do I find one? Do we need lawyers involved?

Any thoughts at all, either on how to do this, or who I need to speak to, would be appreciated.


Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us