The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Insurance - Disability


Subject:  Social Security Disability Insurance Date:  7/19/2010  7:15 AM
Author:  TMFDj Number:  3 of 5

The Social Security Administration (SSA) now offers Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI):

To get SSDI, a medical doctor must diagnose you with a (permanent) disability. With that paperwork, accountants can file the paperwork with SSA to get SSDI. I've seen TV advertisements that one law group or another can file this same paperwork with SSA.

The really short explanation is SSDI will last until you are old enough to collect retirement benefits from SSA. Then your SSDI will switch over to retirement benefits.

SSDI is a low value insurance. The value depends on how much money you earned before you were disabled - so SSDI has a value of hundreds to a very few thousands of dollars.

If you get SSDI, you can't work. If you get a job, SSDI goes away. I don't know the rules on this issue. Your accountant or lawyer can explain the rules to you.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us