The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotminor-quibblequot-i-dont-mean-to-start-a-28772678.aspx

Subject:  Re: You're crazy if you don't buy an annuity? Date:  9/19/2010  1:21 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  67534 of 94936

"Minor quibble."

I don't mean to start a major discussion of "typical" retirement income, but recall that median household income in the US in still upper $40s--no yet $50K. Retirees indeed probably are somewhat less.

These days where both husband and wife work, combined Social Security for typical middle class is probably over $20K, and most get some pension--though many are small.

I have heard others say that $30K is typical retiree's income these days, but I am sure there those with far more and many with less.

But yes, I certainly agree that a nice 401K plan balance for those who manage to achieve it helps a lot.

And yes, I too know people who have retired very well on much less than $30K. They own their home, eat well, and seem to have money for nice trips and extras. I would suspect they live conservatively and do with somewhat less of those extras than some.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us