The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/similarly-the-30k-in-income-that-i-hear-is-28772997.aspx

Subject:  Re: You're crazy if you don't buy an annuity? Date:  9/19/2010  5:53 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  67536 of 94940

Similarly, the $30K in income that I hear is close to median retirement income requires at cool million dollars at current rates. I suspect that most could do better than $30K in income from that much in assets.

Last time I checked, $1,000,000 divided by $30,000 is 33.3 -- If you get 10,000 new crisp $100 bills and bury them in the backyard - you will no run out of money for over 33 years.

Now for most rational people, the idea of taking 4% our with an inflation adjustment has appeal. You have not guarantee, but there is something like a 95% probability you will never run out of money even if you live for another 50 years.

This happens to be the approach I am taking - well not totally, I am taking more like 3.5% plus an inflation factor. Early 2009 had more worries, but now I am a firm believer in the system described by William Bengen in his book "Conserving Client Portfolios During Retirement"

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us