The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/personally-i-am-trying-to-keep-as-diversified-as-28986801.aspx

Subject:  Re: Up, down, sideways Date:  12/28/2010  12:20 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  67989 of 95232

Personally I am trying to keep as diversified as possible, with the exception of long term bonds which I am underweighting.

...He forecast a lot of sideways movement with bouts of volatility that would make it, in his words, a great trader's market....

It would only be a great traders market if you are a great trader.

If the stocks go nowhere for a long period of time then for someone to make money on a trade, someone has to lose money.

If you get into short term trading you will be up against people with decades of experience with some of the best education that money can buy and they have the time to monitor the market every minute of the trading day since trading is their full time job. The odds of you succeding are stacked against you.

If you do try it and do well at first then there will be no way of knowing if it was due to skill or luck so you will also risk thinking you are better than you are and getting more reckless with your money.

Good luck.

Greg
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us