The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Poll: Did your 401k recover from the 2008 de Date:  12/28/2010  3:43 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  67994 of 97888

if the value increased significantly before the rollover to Roth, I might have a paper gain, and I would have to pay the taxes on that gain at a high rate of 38% combined federal/state immediately at rollover time. This would be a short-term gain (less than 1 year) since I plan to do a rollover to Roth of my after-tax contributions every year.

ALL taxable distributions from retirement accounts are ordinary income, regardless of how the money got there.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us