The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thank-you-all-for-your-thoughts-i-am-not-sure-28987932.aspx

Subject:  Re: Up, down, sideways Date:  12/28/2010  7:12 PM
Author:  57andrew Number:  68002 of 100431

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am not sure about the 5% real return hurdle comments. I'll investigate further. I like the Vanguard funds as an idea and again will look into these. My challenge is compounded because I also run FX risk. My pensions are in £ for historical reasons but I need HK$, which is pegged FTB to the US$. Hence I am a follower of Fool.com and Fool.co.uk

As to timing the market, surely this is the retail investor's biggest challenge - being disciplined and brave enough to buy a falling market not jumping in after event. I don't think you need to be a great trader, just a disciplined one. I follow 200 day EMAs, PEs and strong balance sheets. I am looking for value as well as income and too many stocks are trading too high in my view.

I have bought dividend payers so far and spread them across currencies. So I have REITs and utilities in Singapore paying 6% in a strong currency, RDSB, Tesco, Total and ADM amongst others. I refuse to buy high fee mutual funds.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us