The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/rollover-into-ira-or-new-employers-403b-28989990.aspx

Subject:  Rollover into IRA or new employer's 403b? Date:  12/29/2010  4:32 PM
Author:  MAG1969 Number:  68009 of 97964

I changed just last year and want to rollover a few old 401k and 403b accounts to Fidelity, which handles my 403b with my new employer. My motivation is just convenience and ease of keeping track of things. Am wondering about the pros and cons of rolling into the new 403b itself, vs. setting up an IRA with Fidelity. Are there pros/cons that I am not thinking of (below)?

Pros of IRA: more investment options, ability to withdraw in a desperate situation (highly unlikely, plus my 403b has loan options)

Pros of 403b: access to a few lower-cost funds that are plan-specific (life cycle funds), more protection from bankruptcy/lawsuit (not a big concern), no transaction fees

I was assured I could manage the IRA through the same login as my retirement plan, so they would be equally convenient. I can't think of a major reason to go one way or the other... flexibility is always good, so maybe I should go with the IRA?

Thanks for any advice
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us