The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Rollover into IRA or new employer's 403b? Date:  12/29/2010  5:29 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  68013 of 97881

You also probably would not be able to roll the money into a Roth account from the 403b if you ever wanted to.

Why do you say this? A 403(b) is a 'qualified plan', same as a 401(k) is a 'qualified plan'. You can convert directly from a 'qualified plan' to a Roth IRA - see IRS Pub 590. You will owe taxes on the conversion, whether it's from a 401(k) or a 403(b). But there is no issue with doing the conversion from a 403(b) rather than a 401(k).

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us