The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/in-my-case-and-im-sure-in-plenty-others-if-i-29003006.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement savings options for high-income e Date:  1/4/2011  6:22 PM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  68068 of 96158

In my case (and I'm sure in plenty others), if I get sued for malpractice or other reasons, tax-deferred accounts (retirement accounts) can't be taken from me. Sadly enough, my taxable account (also part of my retirement planning but not viewed so officially by law) is about to be 1/2 my total retirement accounts and by the time I get there, probably 3/4 or more.

JLC

Good point. While there is nothing wrong per se with a high percentage of after-tax accounts, the issue of liability protection is a specialized discussion about which I assume you and business owners are necessarily well aware. I cover that with a $2 million umbrella liability policy, but that's little good for you I'd imagine. In today's litigious society, God bless you for what you do!

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us