The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Means Testing SS Date:  1/13/2011  4:10 PM
Author:  madbrain Number:  68232 of 99800

Well, no. In order to "qualify" for the benefits, you (or a spouse) must have paid in to the system. This is completely unlike "welfare", which has no such requirement.

It depends on which benefits. For Supplemental social income (SSI) you don't need to have contributed. Even some non-citizens (refugees) can get it. I know people in that situation.

The benefits are very small though, less than social security retirement benefits.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us