The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-know-i-probably-quotshouldquot-have-29082866.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where do mid-cap indexes fit in to allocatio Date:  2/5/2011  1:14 PM
Author:  DrTarr Number:  68406 of 103349

I know I probably "should" have something in commodities, but I've never been comfortable with them.

If your satisfied w/o'em [income/estate needs will be met with reasonable assumptions] - no sense in it. Portfolio's are meant to help you sleep! Not make you uncomfortable!

As I hit retirement itself, move the overall allocation from 60/40 to 50/50.

Or just wait for another good market downturn to do that for you! Not to challenge your re-allocation but maybe some food for thought - Why are you making the change?

If 60/40 got you where you want to be, studies show optimal portfolio survivability/longevity is probably a little higher in equities, and you are comfortable where you are.. Plus, lets say rates are still low in two years (no crystal ball here)??? Do what makes the case for Case to sleep but don't just change allocation based on some idea that older means more Fixed Income, or that hitting the retirement date means reducing the amount of work your money can do.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us