The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Simple question about 401k-to-IRA conversion Date:  2/24/2011  3:11 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  68536 of 103308

2) Do I have to even acknowledge this rollover in my taxes?

0x got this one wrong. You do have to report the rollover on your tax return, but it's not taxable. You report the total amount rolled over and separately report the taxable amount which is added in to the rest of your income. Take a look at line 15 or 16 (I can't recall which) on your Form 1040. It's very common for the taxable amount to be zero.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us