The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/vkg-you-wrote-the-children-are-not-necessarily-29134862.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Should Child Support Be Used For Court Date:  2/27/2011  11:28 AM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  301199 of 312592

vkg,

You wrote, The children are not necessarily better off in "families" that stayed together for the children. The studies of children from "bad" marriages (and not abusive/dangerous households) doesn't show that the parents staying together was a resounding success. Most of the children wished their parents had divorced rather than been raised in a very stressful home.

My kids certainly thought my XSO and I should have separated and divorced sooner. They're both in their mid-20's now, so I don't think they're saying that just out of bitterness. I'm also willing to admit it was a mistake in our case.

But it might not be in every case - I think you have to take into account the dynamics within the family before making that decision. And making the right decision while you're living it can be very difficult.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us