The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-all-the-thoughts-im-having-a-hard-29146688.aspx

Subject:  Re: FBF.Pr.M what to do? Date:  3/3/2011  8:44 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  32402 of 36581

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I'm having a hard time finding another pfd to switch into that makes sense to me. Too, I guess I got spoiled by having bought a potload of these 12-24 months ago at mouth-watering discounts and sky-high yields. ;-) Guess I need to get realistic about expectations.

I'm finding once again that it's largely a matter of swapping capgain (discount) with dividends (yield). Although FBF-M --> CFC-B would pick up $.25 dividend and $.63 in discount. The only one so far I'd found that would pick up both, usually one is up and the other is down. Guess that means the market is pretty efficient.
Stirring the pot to merely shuffle things around -- except for giving the broker 2 commissions -- doesn't seem like a good tactic.

Good comment about the accrued dividend for FBF-M, I hadn't thought of it that way----still not used to thinking of things the bond way. Will take another close look at things next week when it goex ex-div.

Alas, what with all the rolled-over capital losses I'm carrying, capgains isn't much of an issue for me.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us