The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/how-did-i-pay-alternative-minimum-tax-29249933.aspx

Subject:  How did I pay alternative minimum tax? Date:  4/20/2011  10:22 AM
Author:  Lurker1999 Number:  113231 of 128147

I used TaxAct like I have been for years to file my 2010 taxes. The only thing that has substantially changed this past year is that my income has gone up a rather healthy amount. I did not incur any capital gains, but actually have a lot of carry-forward long-term capital losses still.

I itemize, primarily because the amount of state income tax that I pay ($13,000+ this past year) exceeds my standard deduction (single). I did not have medical expenses that met my AGI floor and minimally deducted some charitable contributions. I do not have a mortgage that I can deduct. I had a trivial amount of 1099 income ($650) which I wrote off entirely against some expenses. I did have some employee expenses for licensing, subscriptions, etc. but those ended up not making it onto my summary screen, I presume due to the AMT.

This year I ended up having to pay nearly another $1000 of AMT which resulted in my having to pay the IRS a bit of money.

What else would I need to provide people here so they could give me an idea of why I ended up incurring AMT this year? I had thought this only affected people with "large" deductions relative to their income.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us