The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-you-still-havent-addressed-where-to-29287576.aspx

Subject:  Re: TIPS a gauranteed loser? Date:  5/9/2011  10:03 AM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  68990 of 105366

Well, you still haven't addressed where to "park" money in tax-deferred accounts.

When it comes to parking money I've always thought that Wil Rogers had it right. "I am not so much concerned with the return on capital as I am with the return of capital."

If you are parking money for only a short while (waiting for an good investment opportunity to come along), then you are not going to collect much interest anyway, so there's no reason to reach for yield. In fact, since TIPS pay interest at six month intervals, it is quite possible that you'll collect NO interest for a short-term park.

If the money is "parked" as part of your asset allocation, then intermediate-term bonds (perhaps something like BND or VBTLX) seems like the sweet spot to me. Simple, straightforward, and doesn't have a complex component (like TIPS do) that is new and hasn't stood the test of time.
As I said before, when you buy something that is touted to "protect you against inflation/market crash, etc." it usually means that you are going to get screwed. I've seen too many "100% safe" things auger into the ground.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us