The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Real-Money Stock Picks / Messed-Up Expectations Portfolio

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/given-a-problem-with-anchoriing-my-answer-was-to-29316496.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buying in Thirds Date:  5/23/2011  8:02 PM
Author:  DDHv Number:  371 of 1287

Given a problem with anchoriing, my answer was to keep a dual spreadsheet based watchlist. The background one deals with enough key statistics to estimate whether a company is likely to do well as a company. Companies that do well on that one get copied to a second. So do ones showing a good opportunity, such as AXPW.OB or MNHVF. The active watchlist deals with current prices relative to the high and low prices of a given stock for the past two year. There is an adjustment for the buy price column, one for the sell price column, and an individual adjustment for each company. The spreadsheet is set up to give me a suggested rank after the prices are entered on Saturday, and based on that, a suggested buy or sell price for each company. The column adjustments are made closer to the current price when nothing happens, and by a large jump away from it when a buy or sell is triggered. This gives higher odds of selling on the highs and buying on the lows. Most of the work goes into deciding what companies are good enough to go onto the background watchlist spreadsheet.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us