The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: What to do with Federal 401K? Date:  11/17/2011  2:40 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  24784 of 26254

What sort of IRA would allow me to withdraw small amounts?

Assuming you are rolling the money to a Traditional IRA, you need to check with the trustee (bank, brokerage, etc.) to see if they have any limitations on the withdrawals that can be made.

Since the withdrawals will be premature (assuming you are under 59 1/2), the trustee will be required to withhold 20% for Federal taxes - not sure if there is a requirement for CA taxes. However, as pointed out upthread, you may owe close to 50% of withdrawal amount in taxes, so be sure to set some of the money aside to make quarterly estimated tax payments and/or pay when you file.

You can read IRS pub 590 for additional details. If you are still taking classes for the bar, you should read this pub to see if some of your education expenses will exempt you from some/all of the 10% penalty.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us