The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Value Hounds

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/but-are-all-those-prices-really-current-i-would-29741851.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sears Date:  12/23/2011  7:04 AM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  8713 of 25485

But are all those prices really current? I would suspect that the 10/15/2017 bonds are pretty thinly traded, with $43mn issued, whereas the 10/15/2018 bonds have $1bn issued. Too bad the M* table doesn't have a column for 'Last Trade'.

dtm

1. I can't speak for how often they change them, but they HAVE changed in the last week. I reviewed current prices through Vanguard -- I know, it's NOT bond heaven, but it works for me. It do my very limited disaster option purchases there too.

2. I also bought the 2017's this week and paid just under $80 for them on a limit order. The 2018's were that price or a little higher.

3. I understood the implications of buying over the holiday and think that's why their trades were so light. I did use a limit order. I don't plan to turn them over (which is why I chose the short time-frame), but you make a good point.

4. I still can't understand the difference in price/yield between the 2018's and 2017's unless large institutions can't trade small numbers ($43 million is small?????).

5. Bonds aren't as much "fun" as stocks except perhaps in this risk area. But it did give me something new to look at, and your analysis (and a look at M*) lowers the risk IMO. I think that's Value Hound territory.

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us