The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/will-neatreceipts-distinguish-the-tax-from-the-29753723.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is it worth it? Date:  12/31/2011  6:55 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  114486 of 131149

Will NeatReceipts distinguish the tax from the main purchase?

It looks like it does based on info on Amazon. I looked at the portable scanner for ~$175 rather than the larger desktop model for ~$400. However, I saw one user review who said capturing the discrete data from a receipt depends on the quality of printing on the receipt. He stated it was 50/50 ? (shrugs)

Yes, it does. I have both the portable (the earliest model) and desktop (about three years old) scanners. I purchased them for purposes unrelated to digitizing receipts. The desktop unit is faster, does both sides at once, and can handle multiple documents at once. The portable unit is wonderful when I'm on the road and want to get a document into my computer.

Any OCR software is sensitive to the quality of the original, but I have found that these scanners are very accurate when calibrated and used with reasonable quality documents. They're not too happy with receipts that have been carried around crumpled in one's pockets for weeks before scanning.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us