The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/help-reporting-non-covered-securites-in-turbotax-29858618.aspx

Subject:  help reporting non-covered securites in TurboTax Date:  2/19/2012  6:34 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  115141 of 133529

I'm using TurboTax to do my 2011 taxes, and have a question on entering a stock sale. I have a 1099-B from the broker, and they show a sale, but list the basis as $16.84 less than I have in my records. Then there are a bunch of smaller transactions showing what is called 'principal payment' with a cost basis allocation factor listed. When I add all those up, they come to that $16.84. These are listed with Box 6 checked for non-covered securities, and the Sale Price, date of acquisition, cost basis and gain/loss are all listed as N/A.

It looks to me like that $16.84 is a return of principal, so do I need to do anything with it to report it to the IRS so that it matches the 1099-B that I have? I've never had one of these before.

Is there any other info you need to be able to help with this question?
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us