The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  W2 or 1099 req to open a ROTH IRA? Date:  2/21/2012  5:49 PM
Author:  mjpersely Number:  115169 of 131375


Could someone please tell me if you need to file a W2 or a 1099 to be eligible to open a ROTH IRA account? I know you need earned income, subject to income limitations and filing/married/single status. But, I seem to recall reading something in the past that said you also had to have a W2 and not a 1099 employment status.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us