The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Retirement Funding without 401K or Roth Date:  3/11/2012  3:41 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  70343 of 98905

Do you file a schedule C each year? If you do and you do not receive a W2 from an employer, and you don't have any employees that work for you over 1000 hours per year, you and your spouse my set up a solo-401(k). The above link is general in its description of how a solo-401(k) plan is set up, as there are more details in how maximum contribution amounts are calculated, start up costs, annual required reporting after the account value reaches $250,000, and so forth.

For a more detailed description of a SEP or SIMPLE IRA, take a look at IRS Publication 560, at

It has all the details you'll require for setting up either of these two plans.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us