The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Reporting a line 1 Sched K-1 loss? Date:  3/31/2012  10:27 AM
Author:  JWS1234 Number:  115759 of 128300

You have probably answered this a thousand times, so please point me to it if an old answer has not changed.

My K-1 indicates a loss on line 1. (I am still holding the stock, by the way; so this is not a final K-1.) How do I properly handle this on this year's tax forms? Partner's instructions say see your tax advisor. H&R Block software uses Schedule E (with zeros everywhere) and form 8582 to show a past-year loss. I'm inclined to go with this one; however, Form 8582 instructions say not to use that form for PTPs, which is what my K-1 is for - or, sometimes even worse in those instructions, to paraphrase Uncle Sam, "report it in the normal manner."

Thank you very much.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us