The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Global Gains Philosophy

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/mark-i-have-been-globally-investing-since-2002-29987787.aspx

Subject:  Re: My experience with GG stocks and indices Date:  4/19/2012  6:07 PM
Author:  anuragupta Number:  4808 of 5166

Mark,

I have been globally investing since 2002 and learned almost everything I know from TMF subs (I have 7 now - SA, HG, RBS, II, GG, MFO, SN) and from my family's (in India) 5 decades of investing in stocks and real estate.

The ETFs that I have been using so far are:
VWO - 800+ firms from a bunch of emerging nations. 8 years of investing into it now. I buy regularly in small quantities and aggressively during market correction in emerging markets. I especially go for a deep dive when emerging markets are out of synch with global markets and are down quite a bit. Based on my cost basis, the dividend on my invested capital exceeds 6% annually.

EIDO - Indonesia - started last year. It is a good one - I think.

EWY - South Korea - since 4 years. Very good ETF.

AFK - Africa - 2 years. So far not much success other than a 2% yield (no failure either) but I think it should be good going ahead as Africa is growing at a healthy clip.

PLND - Poland - since last year. Most speculative of the bunch. PLND is relatively insulated from EU mess and sits on untapped natural resources. I was hoping some detailed coverage from GG to develop a strategy here.

DGS - emerging markets high dividend payers. Introduced by GG last year. I think this would be a great investment.
India - unable to recommend any India centric ETFs as I don't invest in them due to direct access to Indian stocks exchange. GG recs of HDB and RDY are excellent picks. And so is the wildcard Larsen & Toubro (pink sheets).

Europe, Japan and US - too developed for my taste. Individual stocks do much better.

Latin America - GG was most successful here. PVD, BLX, ITRN, MELI (GG sold too early), ARCO, BOBS.OB (wild card - my 4+ bagger now). ILF is a good one by GG collection of stocks is a better deal - I think.

China - no good ETF that I know. GG recommended stocks have mixed success. Other TMF subs recs such as BIDU, SINA and CTRP have done much better for me. Between GG and other TMF subs there is a good collection of individual stocks available for China to not need an ETF.

I have not studied any other country specific ETFs so far but if we can locate ones with low fee and not overweight in a specific sector or govt controlled firms it should be a good deal.

I have been a constant critique of GG trips abroad for a while now. I am unable to recall any GG trip (at least one per year during last 5 years) to result in any sustained market advantage for the subscribers.

Anurag
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us