The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Global Gains Philosophy

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/many-thanks-to-gg-30013892.aspx

Subject:  Many thanks to GG Date:  5/2/2012  9:31 AM
Author:  TMFTypeoh Number:  4870 of 5166

To echo many of the comments made above, I'm also very sad to see GG go. GG was the first premium fool newsletter that I subscribed to, mainly because Robert Kyosaki/Peter Schiff scared the crap out of me in 2008 and made me think I needed to avoid exposure to the US dollar and load up on gold and foreign stocks. I figured I needed help with finding foreign companies, and GG would fit the bill nicely (it did!).

Since then, the more I have read and learned about investing, the less paranoid I became about the dollar being inflated away to nothingness, and have come to think of global stocks as a nice complement to a US based diversified portfolio (there that home country bias rearing its ugly head :)).

While here, I learned A TREMENDOUS amount from Nathan/Nate/Tim/Bill. I consider every rec (whether it worked out or not) to be a great learning lesson for me.

What are my key take away's from being here?

1) Great companies, with great management, and great long term prospects should never be sold on valuation alone.
2) Hot money moves in and out....fast. You've got to stick with your convictions through think and thin. Mr. Market will play mind games with you.
3) Demand a huge margin of safety with small cap foreign stocks, and use a big discount rate.
4) Corporate governance and auditors matter.
5) Add to winners. Cut losers.
6) Customer concentration, especially when that customer is a government, is a really big risk. Tread lightly (UEPS).
7) Telecoms are tough to invest in. Subscriber growth is great, but if competition chews away at your margins, you will work hard just to run in place (TLK/CHL).

I really hope that Nate/Nathan are willing to continue to follow some of my favorite GG stocks. VEMTF, BLX, PVD, HDB, COSWF, FHCO, CMFO, YONG, CGA...I really rely on GG for coverage on these stocks. If we don't get their opinion on them, I'm going to sell each and every one (sadly).

Best of luck to everyone in the future! It's been a pleasure learning from you all!

Brian
SA/RB Welcome Fool
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us