The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-compromised-on-our-current-trip-we-brought-30100256.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cruise dress codes Date:  6/16/2012  2:41 PM
Author:  OrmontUS Number:  18534 of 24044

I compromised on our current trip. We brought tux/gown on the cruise eastward across the pond and then stashed the suitcases in Amsterdam. At the end of the summer, before we are shipping westward across the lake, we are picking up our bags from the hotel. In between, we are traveling light (but I still have a suit along - gives me a bunch of options, and the wife has a decent dress as we are taking an intermediate cruise and may hit the odd "rug joint" restaurant in between).

Until I retired last year, I generally dressed pretty informal in my office. The exceptions were when I was either meeting customers or competitors (and even there, I dressed differently, depending on the effect I was trying to establish).

The best way I heard it expressed:

A local Brooklyn dapper "gentleman" of Sicilian extraction told me once in confidence that his sainted mother gave him sage advice that he followed all his life to good effect - "Dress British and think Yiddish"

He was respected by all he did business with. (Only in New York :-)

Jeff
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us