The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-going-on-cruises-for-over-20-years-30105813.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cruise dress codes Date:  6/19/2012  11:27 PM
Author:  TerryMcK Number:  18538 of 24411

I have been going on cruises for over 20 years now, and the bottom line is that times change and people change.

The first few cruises that I went on, it was very rare to see somebody at dinner on a "formal" night who was not dressed as suggested. There were also a couple of nights where the dress was not formal, but also not casual. That would be sport jackets for men and pant suits for the women, for example.

The last couple of cruises that I was on, there were people at dinner in clothing that looked like what I wear to mow the lawn. Wrinkled shorts, tennis shoes, and wrinkled t-shirts.

I would prefer having people follow the cruise line guidelines, but I would also prefer people to obey traffic signals, not have a basket full at the express line,,etc. None of that is going to happen any time soon.

The bottom line is $$$. The cruise lines do not enforce their own guidelines because they don't want to offend anyone and lose business. It's not just the dress code; it also applies to debarkation, excursons, etc.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us