The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Pro / Pro: Pro's Philosophy & Strategy

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-mixed-feelings-about-all-of-these-wild-30153153.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Eye is on the Sparrow - Epilogue Date:  7/17/2012  12:36 PM
Author:  Wantingmaxvalue Number:  11984 of 23017

I have mixed feelings about all of these wild critters.

On the one hand, while eating breakfast by the fishpond, I enjoy listening to the birds sharing with the world the new songs they dreamed up last night and watching a new batch of bunnies scampering around the yard... but... this year we decided to have a garden.

The rabbits decided our sugar snap peas made a delicious morning snack. The birds started eating the black raspberries before they darkened. More birds came to tug on the sweetcorn as it sprouted in an effort to snarf up the seeds. After replanting the corn several times and watering frequently... and finally getting close to harvest, the neighborhood raccoons discovered how tasty corn really is. Oh and the chipmunks really have taken a liking to strawberries.

To top it off, a blue heron paid a visit to the fish pond. The first day it slurped up 2 of our 13 koi/goldfish. We set out a cement goose to make it think this territory was taken. Next morning, 2 more fish gone. The next morning I greeted it while shouting and throwing tennis balls at it (a gun was preferable at this point but it is illegal and my neighbors would not approve). Next we added a scarecrow but ended up losing 2 more fish to the thieving rascal.

So after 2800 square ft of netting we have harvested 10 quarts of raspberries, 7 pods (not pounds) of peas, 4 ears (not dozen) of corn, 6 strawberries (again not quarts) and best of all...

Our goldfish had 6 babies to put us back to 13... even though they are now somewhat caged.

Maxx

Who is giving up on corn and peas but not raspberries or strawberries and is really glad he does this as a hobby and not dependent on his farming abilities to feed his family. And who is amazed that none of the animals like his wife's stuff (tomatoes and peppers) but really like his.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us