The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Non-profit HOA tax return Date:  7/31/2012  1:07 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  116474 of 132979

I drew the short straw and got made the HOA treasurer. The HOA itself is tiny does not do much over the course of a year. (Just pay for some snow plowing, insurance and gardening.) The dues and the expenses just about match over the course of the year.

I know that it has to file a tax return of some flavor, but not much about it.

Any pointers to the IRS pubs that cover this? Going to a professional for the actual return is certainly a possibility, but I need to know some background.

Congratulations on your selection, and more importantly, on having the foresight to ask for advice now and not when things get urgent. Most HOAs file Form 1120-H, US Income Tax Return for Homeowners Associations, though there are a few which qualify as 501(c)4 or 501(c)7 organizations and file a Form 990 series return. You can find information about this at the IRS website. There are also some professionals who provide advice to HOAs. I can't vouch for the quality of any of them.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us