The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: NYC Financial Advisor Date:  8/21/2012  1:11 PM
Author:  BruceCM Number:  70892 of 96798

I agree with CAbob, these are the two web sites to use.

NAPFA advisors are generally compensated as a % of assets under management (AUM...generally .5 to 1%), which tends to work best if you are retiring, have $$ in a retirement plan that will be moving to a brokerage account and you need assistance setting it up and managing the investments.

The Garrett Network advisors mostly work on an hourly basis, and would be best used if you are not only looking for investment advice, but also comprehensive financial planning assistance, to include such things as household cash flow, debt management, insurance needs, home refi questions, 529 plan savings questions, estate planning, etc

I believe both now require their advisors to hold the CFP designation or be enrolled in a CFP training program leading to taking the certification exam to be able to use the CFP designation.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us