Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/debt-settlement-danger-30232740.aspx

Subject:  Debt Settlement - Danger? Date:  8/29/2012  6:17 PM
Author:  port0703 Number:  305833 of 312945

Hi,

I’m need of some sound advice.

I owed a credit card company $16,381. The credit card company’s collection
agency sent me a letter confirming that “…it is duly authorized to accept $6,825 in full settlement of the debt”, provided that my payment reached the collection agency’s office within a week. Earlier today, so as to comply with the deadline, I sent a $6,825 check by mail to the credit card collection agency.

I thought that by receiving written confirmation by the credit card’s collection agency of the full settlement of the debt, and by me sending the collection agency the full amount, $6,825, by the specified deadline, the case would be closed.

However, after mailing the check, I read online that it’s best not to send a check from one’s personal checking account for debt settlement because the credit card company, or the collection agency can sue or raid your checking account, once they have the number of your checking account. It's unfortunate that I didn't think of learning about this until after I'd already mailedthe check from my personal checking account. So now, I'm worried.

So here’s my question:
Is my checking account in jeopardy?

Will appreciate clarification on this. Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us