The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-here-is-what-flyertalk-says-you-can-estimate-30250430.aspx

Subject:  Re: Can we make this connection? Date:  9/7/2012  9:36 PM
Author:  hockeypop Number:  18871 of 25046

Well here is what FlyerTalk says:

You can estimate the amount of time you'll need based on the circumstances of your trip, however. For domestic-to-international itineraries on the same airline, you won't need more time that you would need for a domestic-to-domestic connection, so an hour or so should be sufficient. (Example: Chicago-New York-Paris on American wouldn't require more time than Chicago-New York-Miami on American.)

But, if you reverse the former itinerary—Paris-New York-Chicago—you'll need much more time to make your connecting flight back to Chicago. When returning to the U.S., you'll have to clear immigration and customs, claim and re-check your bags, and go through security before you arrive at your next departure gate. For international connections like these, you'll want at least an hour and a half to two hours, if not more.
... but
As a rule of thumb, try to book a flight that has at least a 90-minute to two-hour connection time, if not more, and don't rely on your airline's reservations system to ensure you have enough time. When booking, consider whether you're connecting at a large or especially busy airport, and if you are, plan a longer connection. If you're traveling on several different airlines, leave yourself even more time. Personally, I'd rather grab a snack or read a book while I wait for my next flight instead of worrying that I'll miss my connection.

Sorry for my confusion, but glad everything worked out.

Hockeypop
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us