The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Amending 2010 return Date:  10/2/2012  7:48 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  116725 of 130961

That's what I get for not looking at the forms themselves before e-filing my return through TaxAct. In 2010 I rolled over all of my stocks (no cash) from my SEP-IRA to my qualified Roth, and chose to pay the taxes in 2011 and 2012. While preparing my 2012 return, I note that, apparently though some oversight of my own, I did not re-enter the numbers onto lines 25a and 25b (they were entered onto 20a and 20b). I am actually thinking of going ahead and paying all of the taxes this year, but if I don't, how would I amend 2010 to reflect my intentions. It only makes a difference of about $600 in taxes due, plus penalty, I am sure.

Should I just go ahead and let it stay as it is and pay the all of the taxes this year, since I can afford to do so, negating the necessity of paying estimated taxes for 2012? Or, how difficult would it be to amend the 8606 for 2010? If I chose not to amend 2010, how would I prepare the 8606 for 2011?


Donna (who discovered that someone has already filed taxes in my name for 2011, by calling the IRS regarding the eftps. I have reported to all agencies. This should be interesting. And, I have to file a paper return this year.)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us