The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/yes-fleg-north-texas-is-in-mourning-epic-fail-30304310.aspx

Subject:  Re: Baseball question Date:  10/6/2012  3:24 PM
Author:  AOLFoolman100 Number:  647404 of 887315

Yes, Fleg, north Texas is in mourning. EPIC FAIL.

Who's that u said? Rocky Balboa Carlito? Was this prior to the Babe Ruth era?

Walk-off is definitely a new term. I started hearing the phrase 3-4 years ago. I hate new phrases. They are so pretentious. The basic ideas and concepts in baseball haven't changed in 100 years yet they are often rewrapped and repackaged with new words leading to temporary confusion for many but a feeling of coolness and exclusivity for the select few "in the know". Sort of like Taco Bell. They have had the same basic 4-5 ingredients for 35 years...rice, beans, tortilla, meat,etc. but have many hundreds of offerings have they had with different names?

Walk-off xxxx is simply a game ending whatever just happened to end the game. For example, a walk-off home run. They call it walk off because after it happens, the team suddenly walks off the field, ESP the defense. It applies only to bottom of the ninth or bottom of the extra inning situation . It applies only to an offensive play. So for example, if a pitcher strikes someone out to end a game, you do NOT called it a walk-off strikeout. And yes, I'd assume a walkoff walk is possible.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us