The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Uncharted waters Date:  10/11/2012  11:24 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116779 of 129299

The problem with DD gifting the money to you to place in a 529 for her is that she is "incapable" of making that gift. That is, she doesn't have the legal capacity to make a gift.

I was involved in a recent discussion of this point elsewhere and learned that most, if not all, 529 plans have procedures for transfers from UTMA accounts. In effect, the 529 retains UTMA characteristics until the beneficiary reaches majority.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us