The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Error on adjusted gross income Date:  10/24/2012  8:14 PM
Author:  katiewa Number:  116836 of 129584

I made an error on our taxes for 2011--double-counted a portion of our 401k contribution. Error was found by state, and we're working through that now.

What is the best way to handle the change for the federal return? Do I just file an amended return? Should I call them first? Is a letter of explanation recommended?


Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us