The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/concordiadiscors-you-wrote-for-the-love-of-god-30359405.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date:  11/4/2012  12:53 AM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  306301 of 312992

concordiadiscors,

You wrote, For the love of God, Fool Alert this post to have it pulled. Giving up your anonymity is NOT a good idea.

Hey! What did I miss? Or did aeouid just give his name or something?

And if everyone didn't notice, I use my real name - joelcorley is not some pseudonym. Anyone with a little free time on their hands can figure out where I live and work and probably a whole lot more. Knowing that, I've intentionally made some effort to avoid committing to writing some of the more damning and foolish things that have happened (or opinions I may have formed) in my life. Sometimes it just best to keep those to yourself.

My take on it is that anonymity is usually an illusion. These days (for nearly 2 decades really) most computer systems can and often do log enough information for someone with a subpoena to ferret out a poster's real identity. And it's not always people with subpoenas that have access to that information.

Most people are simply fooling themselves when they believe themselves anonymous. So I choose to not fool myself ... or anyone else. I just choose to try not to commit anything to writing that I might regret defending in the future. Doesn't always work out that way of course; but over all, I'm fairly confident that I've not put anything in writing that would do more than cause me some momentary embarrassment.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us