The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-spent-a-lot-of-time-in-the-last-year-with-30383335.aspx

Subject:  Re: You know, like, literally! Date:  11/15/2012  3:13 PM
Author:  Jacketfan Number:  868739 of 904703

I have spent a lot of time in the last year with a young twenty-something who says "literally" frequently.

He/she (and you) are behind the times. The new buzz word (related to "literally" anyway) is "legit." As in, "That lady backed into my car. Legit." Or even, "He legit ate the whole thing." Granted, it's more related to "no s***", but, you know, what evs.

I started hearing it from my kids in the last few months, I heard it sitting next to a group of twenty-somethings at a soccer game last week, and have seen it in facebook comments recently.

If I was more motivated, and could write, and had time on my hands, and...anyway, I would love to write a book on colloquialisms and the blazing speed with which they are adopted and spread in our social media-fixated world. I have made mental note of their coming (and going) over the last 20 years or so. My wife has been a heavy user since I've known her, which probably jump-started my interest.

v/r
Tom
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us