The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-debating-just-walking-away-or-giving-the-30385130.aspx

Subject:  Re: buying used... Date:  11/16/2012  12:35 PM
Author:  n8larson Number:  413137 of 526546

I'm debating just walking away, or giving the seller the opportunity to drop their price to reflect the salvage from the first accident. They have it $2000 below Edmunds, but I'm told it should be at least 50% of Edmunds due to the accident.

As someone who's never bought a new vehicle ever (but bought used from a dealer a couple of times), my two cents on this is that "salvage" doesn't mean "junk", and whoever told you salvage price should be at least 50% of Edmunds has been smoking something. It depends on the car, the accident, the repair, and most importantly, what shape the car is in NOW. A rule like that doesn't do the buyer OR the seller any favors. Regarding this particular car, if it's $2000 below Edmunds, the seller has ALREADY dropped their price to reflect the salvage nature of the title. Are you feeling misled about the first accident, or was it before this owner bought this car?

Maybe I should nuke our vacation next year and go to a dealer...

Definitely not the way I'd go. You'll get a lot more mileage from the family vacation. Whole lot.

On the other hand, keep in mind that SOME people would have to consider that this car is clearly haunted.

-n8
(story: my dad paid $300 for my first car ['66 Valiant] when I was 14, and it needed some work, which we did together. priceless.)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us