The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/concierge-docs-eg-docs-who-only-take-cash-30397521.aspx

Subject:  Concierge Docs eg Docs Who only take Cash Date:  11/24/2012  6:07 PM
Author:  tjscott0 Number:  656751 of 888501

There have been many stories about concierge doctor practices. Some folks outraged that people can obtain more personal health care via $1500 to $2000 annual fee. And the link at the end of this post did tak about some of those physican practices, but it aso mentioned the folowing doctor's practice also.

As to why doctors decide to switch to a concierge practice, the answer is almost always frustration.

“About four years ago, one insurance company was driving me crazy saying I had to fax documents to show I had done a visit,” said Stanford Owen, an internal medical doctor in Gulfport, Miss. “At 2 a.m., I woke up and said, ‘This is it.’ ”

Dr. Owen stopped accepting all insurance and now charges his 1,000 patients $38 a month.

“When I decided to abandon insurance, I didn’t want to lose my patient base and make it unaffordable,” he said. “I have everything from waitresses and shrimpers to international businessmen. It’s a concierge model, but it’s also the personal doctor model.”

$38 a month. Quite affordable. Could the invisible hand be brought to health care? I expect insurance corporations will fight this tooth & nail. Pressure via their lobbyists will be brought to bear upon representatives of congress to make illegal such nefarious practice. People taken control of their health care without Obamacare. Democrats know this MUST BE STOPPED in its tracks! Health insurance business & politicians working together. Just not for our benefit.

It will be interesting if significant number of doctors follow Dr Owen's path.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/24/your-money/dealing-with-do...
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us