The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-speaking-to-the-native-raw-dv-format-ive-30399304.aspx

Subject:  Re: MiniDV camcorders Date:  11/26/2012  10:35 AM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  61520 of 71503

I was speaking to the native raw .dv format. I've read where Live Capture Plus can do this, but iMovie will add some compression.

Then that goes beyond what I know with certainty. That is, it looks to me like iMovie '11 can handle the .dv format just fine, but whether Apple adds compression during .dv import, I don't know. I can't imagine why they would do this without allowing the option of importing without such compression. The availability of "large" resolution importing vs. "full resolution" implies to me that disk space savings is intended to be provided by the large import option, implying that "full" resolution importing applies no compression.

If you have a link in which someone shows such compression taking place, I'd be very interested to read it. I might consider doing a comparison myself.

-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us