The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth contribution above income Date:  11/27/2012  7:45 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117009 of 128250

You may be able to entice him by telling him that there could be a way for him to make perfectly legal Roth contributions going forward.

If the availablity of this is possible without reducing current earned (W2) income, would love to know for myself how to make Roth IRA contributions when you exceed income maximums.

It's more or less as ferjen said. If you have no traditional IRA account, including SEPs, SIMPLEs, and rollovers from prior employer plans, you can make a nondeductible contribution and immediately convert it to Roth with no current tax effect. If you do have pre-tax money in any traditional IRA account each distribution, including conversions to Roth, is a proportional mix of taxable pre-tax and nontaxable post-tax money.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us