The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/another-one-huh-well-lets-see-off-the-30415874.aspx

Subject:  Re: Warning, Cake Mix Size Has Changed Date:  12/5/2012  4:48 PM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  54759 of 56432

Another one, huh?

Well, let's see--off the top-of-my-head, there's:

peanut butter--the standard jar was 18 oz. Now it's 16 oz.

spaghetti sauce--used to be a 28 oz jar. Now it's 24 oz.

tuna--used to be 6 or 7 oz cans. Now it's 4 or 5 oz.

ice cream--the 'half-gallon' cartons were 16 1/2 c. servings. (8 cups) Now, it's 14 servings (7 cups).

canned beans and vegetables used to come in a standard 1 lb. can--now it's 14 to 15 oz cans.

before I gave up gluten, I used to get Dreamfield's pasta--a box was 16 oz. Last time I noticed it was 13.25 oz.

Of course, the size of candy bars has progressively shrunk, while the price has progressively increased. If you haven't purchased a single bar in awhile--be prepared for sticker shock. I used to get one for 25 cents just a few years ago. Last time I bought one--a couple of months back, it was 79 cents.

On the bright-side--now that nearly everything has decreased in size, maybe the recipe adjustments won't be necessary--use a half jar of peanut butter to a box of cake mix....since they're both smaller....it won't matter...(just kidding....sorta)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us