The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/yeah-dont-ask-my-advice-on-this-i-quit-wearing-30421002.aspx

Subject:  Re: zoot suit Date:  12/8/2012  4:03 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  46694 of 139644

Yeah. Don't ask my advice on this. I quit wearing ties ever about 10 years ago. I still have to attend events (and even receive awards or speak at them) where everyone else is dressed formal. I had to attend two formal dinner events in Taiwan and was the primary speaker at one. I typically wear cargo pants, a solid colored pull-over shirt with no collar, and my dependable black sport coat. I make sure my cargo pants don't have stitched up tears in them or noticeable stains. For the most formal events, I wear a white pull-over shirt. Some people are probably appalled at my dress, but most in the engineering and archaeology communities have come to accept my dress as eccentric rather than improper and disgusting.

The only problem I have is that my field work clothes for archaeology and hiking and my sight-seeing clothes are identical (minus the sport coat) to my formal wear. So over time I tend to get stains and tears in all my clothes. Then one day I have to go to an awards banquet or fund raiser or something only to realize I don't have any clothes without tears or stains.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us