The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Need tax advice Date:  12/14/2012  5:06 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117134 of 130875

To be honest, I really need comprehensive financial planning. But that's a whole 'nother story, and at this time of year, the most important thing I need to concentrate on are tax strategies, since my rates are almost surely going up next year.

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back for not waiting until the last minute, good luck finding a tax advisor, making an appointment, meeting, and acting on recommendations in time to affect 2012 taxes. Pity you didn't think about this when there was time to do something about it.

Finding a fee-based financial planner with nothing to sell you but expertise should be your first step. That person can probably point you toward a good tax advisor. Flailing about at taxes in a planning vacuum could do more harm than good.

That said, your best bet for getting advice you can use this year is here. For example, we've been talking about the Roth conversion issue you mentioned since the law changed in 2010. There are some really knowledgeable people here who volunteer their time and expertise, and we try to give references you can follow up to verify what you've been told.

So, feel free to ask away.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us